All jobs and professions have pros and cons, but roles in software in particular have many benefits which are almost guaranteed due to the demand for people in the industry and the continuous advances in technology.
If you’re considering a career in software, here are a few benefits which may just convince you to take the next step:
1. Portable Skills – You’ll learn a lot in one company throughout each project such as new languages and methodologies, this knowledge is transferable to other jobs and companies.
2. Good Pay – Salaries in software development tend to be up to 20% higher than other professions. There is always a demand for developers and companies are prepared to pay for those with the right skill set.
3. Great Working Environment – You’ll benefit from an office culture, each company has its own and it’s something management teams really focus on these days. You’ll also probably never have to work outside in harsh weather conditions!
4. Continuous Learning Curve – You’ll work on the cutting edge of technology and always be exposed to the latest advancements. You’ll never stop learning and building your skill set.
5. Secure Job – Working for successful companies means your job will be safe, technology isn’t something that’s ever going to go away, your job may change in order to adapt to new technologies but there will always be work in software development.
6. Collaborative – People often believe programmers sit alone at their computers and code all day, but software development is in fact almost always a team effort. This gives opportunities to share knowledge and build up working relationships.